Afternoon Sessions / The Brothers
2.oopm / RUOM Hangout
RUOM is a collective of journalists specializing in social reportage throughout Asia. Exploring different forms of collective storytelling, Ruom’s members have been working on several long-term projects that have been published globally. Ruom Hangout is a chance for us to share our work, and for those attending the meet to share theirs. Together we can exchange ideas, give feedback, and ask each other questions about the work presented, much like we do in the collective. For Ruom, it has always been helpful to hear the ideas of our colleagues and collectively discuss together, and we are excited to open this up to a larger forum.
- Sandra Hoyn will show her project “Jenny’s soul” – about the unusual relationship between a man and his silicone doll
- Yan Cong will talk about her long term project about Cambodian brides trafficked to China
- Gareth Bright will showcase his work from nearly 3 years exploring the Mekong from Sea to Source. He will discuss the importance of taking risks to start projects, and why long-term photo series are an important shift away from traditional hard news photography.
- Nicolas Axelrod (RUOM) is presenting images from his last year living in Thailand, he will discuss the need to shoot personal projects and the importance of photography as a craft.
- Thomas Cristofoletti (RUOM) will talk about his ongoing project about unconventional religious practices.
- Jes Aznar will present his curation of Filipino photographers’ work on Rodrigo Duterte’s ongoing war on drugs, which has claimed thousands of lives since he took office. With images from Raffy Lerma, Hannah Reyes Morales, Linus Escandor, Ezra Acayan, Czar Dancel, Dondi Tawatao, Alyx Arumpac, Alecs Ongcal, Jay Ganzon, Dante Dionisia, Vincent Go and Carlo Gabuco